Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My 87 yr. old Mom has "onion skin" and is creating some

Customer Question
Hi. My 87 yr...
Hi. My 87 yr. old Mom has "onion skin" and is creating some nasty problems for her. Is there anything we can do or any remedies you might recommend to minimize this condition/make her skin stronger?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: My Mom has been dealing with it for a couple years now all over her body, but her finger nails are fine. She slipped and fell at the senior center the other day and has a skin tear from her knee down to almost her ankle. We have been to wound care at the local hospital and will have nurses coming to the house to change her dressings, but I would like to try to do something to make her skin stronger so she doesn't have to go through this...it has happened several times!
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I don't think there is anything skin related...over the past couple of years she has had a TIA and most recently congestive heart failure.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your mother.

at age 87, she can have many health problems.

congestive heart failure often will lead to edema and swelling in the legs and poor circulation in the legs.

this can lead to weak skin and dry skin and poor healing.

it is important that she weight herself daily and if her weight goes up too much, she may have to take diuretics like lasix to help get rid of excessive fluid out of your body.

normally, she should eat more protein and vegetables to help her skin heal, but this can be difficult if she has a weak heart and weak kidneys possibly

she should use thick moisturizers like aquafore or utter butter or lanolin ointment for her skin to moisturize her skin as much as possible to prevent dermatitis and flaking.

but there is no one right answer which will fix her situation.

Family Physician, Doctor