How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2592
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Wondering diff. between needing urologist vs. nephrologist?

Customer Question

Wondering diff. between needing urologist vs. nephrologist? Have nephrologist. Can he treat me for my bladder stress incontinence that has worsened in recent months? Or do I really need 2 drs.?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking? What confuses you?
Customer: Present nephrologist treating for kidney damage from long-term use of lithium w/possible 40mg/day prilosec for barrets esophagas & diverticulosis.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: stopped lithium. just quit long term paxil. now taking seraquel (300 mg/daily), clonzaepam, prilosec, simvastatin, levothyroxine, and OTC B-12, fish oil, omega 3, D-3, arthritis strength acetomiacine
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: how do I set up appt, w/dr.?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: allergic to STADOL. recent emergency 5 days in hospital due to Trileptal. Am bipolar, have PTSD, severe anxiety, dissociative disorder, high risk colon cancer, had colon cancer & colectomy, osteoarthritis (need hip replacement, diverticulosis in sigmoid colon, barrets esophagis, reynauds syndrome
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

a urolgoist is trained in surgery of the kidneys and bladder and urinary system

a nephrologist is not trained in surgery and is a specialist at the kidney and urinary system.

a urologist may be best to treat you for your stress incontinence.

if you need bladder surgery in the future, you may need the urologist to help you with surgery.

you may benefit from doing kegel exercises to help strengthen your pelvic floor muscles to prevent incontinence.