How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18423
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a bad fall on my knees 12 days ago, one of my legs

Customer Question

I had a bad fall on my knees 12 days ago, one of my legs swelled up a lot and it was very painful to walk. I have been to the ER 4 days ago they took X-rays and a sonogram, I was told nothing broken and no blood clots. However my knee calf shin ankle and foot seem more swollen. I have tried to stay elevated and I am taking Vicodin and anti inflammatory drugs as well as keeping ice on it. I'll this just take more time, I am using a walker to get around.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Very swollen, just wondering if this will just take more time
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it can sometimes take up to 4-6 weeks for traumatic injury of the legs to heal. When someone has significant swelling after a fall, it is appropriate to be checked to be certain that there is no fracture or a DVT, as you have done. But since these problems have been excluded, it would be fine to continue to manage this with conservative management, such as elevation, ice, moist heat, ACE bandage for compression, anti-inflammatory medicines, and pain medicines, such as the Vicodin.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.