Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

My stomach has been cramping every afternoon around the same

Customer Question

My stomach has been cramping every afternoon around the same time for the past week.
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: no nausea or vomiting just what feels like bad gas pains but am pretty sure that's not it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i had gastric bypass over 4 yrs ago i have never had any problems before
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

HI there. How often do the cramps occur? How long do they last?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Probably an hour or so
This also happened this morning on my way into work.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

And the cramping is above the belly button? Are you experiencing any diarrhea or constipation?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Neither of those
It's above the belly button and on my left side
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Are you in good overall health? What is your age?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm 44
I don't have any health problems
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

And you feel well in between episodes?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No problems at all
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

The left upper quadrant includes part of the stomach, pancreas, spleen and colon. Any one of these organ systems could be involved, though the intermittent nature of the cramping would suggest either the stomach or the transverse colon.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

The stomach and transverse colon are dynamic organs, of course, always moving and changing configuration, processing gas, fluid and solid material. Either one can be irritated, or slightly injured, by material passing through them and can respond by dilating or clamping down into a spasm.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

These types of irritations or mucosal injuries perhaps tend to be temporary. While I have seen cases that took several weeks to settle down, one week is a bit long, especially given your surgical history.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you.
I will make an appt to see my doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Your anatomy has changed, for example, due to the surgery, so the usual signs and symptoms we look for may be different than they are for those who have not had their anatomy altered. So, a plain film of the abdomen (x-ray) might be helpful, or a CT if the xray is not helpful in providing an answer.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Ask your doctor about this when you see him. Hopefully you will be a lot better by then anyway. :-)

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions about any of this. I would be happy to help further.

If not, please don't forget to provide a positive rating, as this is the only way I get credit for taking time to help you.

Thanks,

Doctor-Bob