Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Dr Bray I am off phentermine... The heart rate is back to

Customer Question
Dr BrayI am off phentermine.....
Dr BrayI am off phentermine... The heart rate is back to normal so I am happy.
Saw my PCP today and she suggested that I try Contrave ( Wellbutrin/naltrexone)Did you ever prescribe that? Did you have the pharma people come talk to you about it in your office? Thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
10/28/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello !

Yes I prescribe ...

I think it likely to help you with weight loss goals ...

Let me know how you do on this !

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

Best Regards!

Dr. Bray

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok why does it say to tell your doctor if you take metformin? Also can I take it if I took my last dose of phentermine on Sunday?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also I am taking over the counter sleeping aids. Could that interfere?

Yes you may take it now ...

Metformin is not listed as interaction but it does lower blood sugar ...

What sleep aids do you take ?

I doubt a problem but will be happy to double check ....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Doxylamine

Hello again,

No doxylamine and Contrave have no interactions listed so these are fine ...

Best regards!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you trust this drug or do you think is risky? Knowing that is a new one. What is your experience with it? Did you use it a lot? What were the side effects you saw in practice?

Hello ,

It is a new combination but the components have been used for a long time ...

Main potential side effect could be nausea ...

No it is not that I have prescribed it often myself ...

I have used the Wellbutrin component for depression application more though ... Usually works well in that ... That component is a bit of stimulant and can elevate anxiety ...

I hope that this helps .

Let me know if I may be of further help.

Best Regards!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is Wellbutrin a safe drug? How about naltrexone?

Hello again,

Yes safe ( precaution not to take if you had seizure history ) generally safe yes though to that on both components

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I see that they are talking about potential of also raising bp/ Pulse.
My doc and me chose this drug over belviq and qsemia I have no idea if we made a mistake or not

Yes I have used Wellbutrin much more in my experience in general...

I have had more good results with it as an antidepressant ...

I hope that the insurance coverage /cost is not too bad for you ..

Major obstacle for many with all of these ....

Wellbutrin increases norepinephrine a bit but pulse and BP are not usually problem with it ....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to take tonight a Benadryl. Do you think that is safe with contrave?

Hello!

yes that is safe !

no problem at all...

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor