Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My girlfriend think she might be pregnant because she is

Customer Question

My girlfriend think she might be pregnant because she is missing her period. Sh is on Birth control and she is now feeling pain in her lower stomach. She took a pregnancy test but it was negative.
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: she is irregular
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she had fibriod inflammation and is taking birth control to treat that.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 9 months ago.

Is she on the pill? If so, what pill? Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
she is. However i dont have the pill with me nor can i contact her at the moment but i believe the brand was Ocella

It's not unusual for women on the pill to miss periods sometimes. As long as the pregnancy test is negative, she's not pregnant. It's just a side effect of the pill.

I would recommend that she continue taking the pills as usual. In case she misses her next period as well, then her doctor may wish to change her to another pill. That will usually take care of it. Best wishes to you both.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But she is feeling pain, she said that it felt like her period. But the bleeding never came.

Since she's feeling pain, she should probably see her doctor (if the pain is more than mild). I don't think that the pain has anything to do with the missed period.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
she also said her breast have been feeling tender, with increased urination and nauseous feelings.

It's hard to know just what is going on with all her symptoms, which is another reason why I would recommend that she see a doctor.

Pregnancy seems unlikely with her being on the pill and having a negative pregnancy test.

If her symptoms were due to pregnancy, she would have had a positive pregnancy test.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what do you think it might be then?

It's very hard to know. She could have a pelvic infection causing the pain.

The breast tenderness could be due to stress or something else.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
now she is feeling pain below her pelvic and her thighs as well
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello. The system says that you have requested a different expert.

The greatest concern that could be causing significant pain in the lower abdomen and pelvis and thigh would be an infection of the female genital tract. It is impossible to determine whether there is an infection based on symptoms without performing an exam or other tests, which is why it would be better for her to be seen.

If this is milder pain, similar to what she gets during a period, that would not be as concerning, and she may be having uterine cramping, even though she is not having bleeding indicative of a period. So, if the pain is mild and similar to cramping that she gets with a period, it would be reasonable to wait and see if the pain eases spontaneously. It would be fine for her to use over the counter medicines for pain, such as naproxen or acetaminophen.

However, the other expert is correct that a pregnancy test is far more accurate at determining whether a woman is pregnant than subjective symptoms, assuming that it was done correctly. So, if the test is negative, that would indicate that the absence of a period is related to the birth control pill.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If she is pregnant what is the easiest or risk free procedure to remove the embryo

With a negative pregnancy test, there is no reason to worry about this issue.

However, to answer your question, there is no such thing as a risk free procedure, but the easiest method are pills that can be taken to induce an abortion. The complication rate is low, but there can be an incomplete abortion, excessive bleeding, blood clots int he uterus, infection, or an allergic reaction to the medicine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
since she hasn't gotten her period yet, do you know when it might arrive?

usually not until her next cycle of off color pills.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
her period should have come when she was taking the off colored pills? because she is expecting her period because she is on the off colored pills right now but her period did not come.

Yes. But the other expert is correct that a missed period most often occurs as a side effect to the pills, and this is far more common than the rare case of a pregnancy despite the pills. When there is a missed period because of a side effect to the pills, the next time that a period can be expected would be the off color pills on the next cycle.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is that why she is feeling the same menstrual pain without any bleeding

Yes, and that is why if the pain is similar to cramping during a period, it is not as worrisome.