Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I swallowed bugs that were in my coffee and ate a steak and

Customer Question

I swallowed bugs that were in my coffee and ate a steak and cheese beagel this morning and I have been vomiting , nausea , and have diarrhea . l still have the coffee cup with bugs still in there.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Do you have any fever or abdominal pain? Also can you upload a picture of the bugs here so i can see what type of bugs you swallowed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Abdominal pain

Thank you for the additional information, since you cant upload a pic, ill just write down my answer and get back to you in a couple of minutes!/

Well from what you are describing it sounds ;like that your digestive tract is trying to expel the bugs or rather the breakdown products of the bugs. In most cases, bugs wont cause any lasting harm to the body as most bugs are killed when they land in the acidic environment of the stomach. Once they die in the stomach they are broken down and then passed out through the stools. Now MOST bugs by themselves are not harmful HOWEVER it is possible that they could have been carrying some bacteria which is now causing the vomiting and diarrhea. It is also possible that they had some toxins on them which has led to you developing food poisoining. Now if this is food poisoining , again nothing needs to be done immediately as the body will expel out the toxins within 24 hours. However if this is due to bacteria then it will last longer than 24 hours and you will need antibiotics.

Now what you should do right now is to use OTC anti emetic drugs like chlorpheniramine or dramamine which can control the vomiting. You can use OTC imodium once if the diarrhea is severe but not anymore than that. the MOST important thing here is to keep hydrated as much as possible, by drinking water and electrolyte rich fluids. This would be in the form of gatorade and ORS which is available OTC. Drink this AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Right now you dont need to rush to the ER HOWEVER if the vomiting is NOT controlled or you cant drink anything or your abdominal pain worsens or you see blood or mucus in the stools or you develop a fever then you would have to go to the ER immediately as that would mean that you have a bacterial infection. if you dont have these symptoms, then follow the above steps and keep monitoring yourself.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

It is also possible that the steak and cheese which you ate have given you food poisoining as well and the bugs are actually not causing the problem. Even in that case the treatment would remain the same. ? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.