Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My children shared pinworms with my husband and I. We have

Customer Question
all taken pyrantel pamoate three...
My children shared pinworms with my husband and I. We have all taken pyrantel pamoate three times in a week. The kids seem all clear, I had some dead pinworms in my stool, but I still have live ones. My GP gave us a script for Albenza to take if this doesn't work. We are cleaning, hand washing and being so careful. I am overwhelmed and crying non stop. I want to be able to snuggle my children and my husband, but everything I read makes me feel like we will never get rid of this. I am a teacher and cannot sleep. Please advise or encourage?
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
10/26/2016
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.It would help if you vacuumed all carpets and cleaned the bathrooms and bedroom floors regularly as the pinworm eggs are viable for over 2-3 weeks.Cutting your nails and avoiding scratching will help.The drugs used are mebendazole/Albendazole,I personally prefer mebendazole which is given for three days,the cure rates are 97-100%.The rest depends on the hygiene practices,and avoiding reinfection.Washing underclothes/underwear and bedding will help,opening the curtains to sunlight will help.Cleaning all surfaces which are likely to harbour the eggs will help.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/publichealth/2020 is a site of interest.

Do you need more information?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** albendazole on Thursday and are continuing to wash all sheets clothes and vacuum daily. I have opened up all blinds to get sunlight in. All of us are showering morning and evenings. We will take the 2nd dose of albendazole in 14 days from original dose. Mebendazole is just now available again in the US as enverm, but I ordered some online to have on hand in case of reinfection. This is quite a lengthy battle, I had no idea. I am quite exhausted and frustrated.

Please do not lose heart,gradually reinfection will stop as eggs will be neutralised.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One more question. We all shower in the morning but by the evening we still find small pinworms. Are these ones that are exiting our bodies are hatching? I just can't see how they could be hatching if we are bathing so frequently to remove eggs. And if they are exiting our bodies alive I believe the albendazole isn't working. Is that a bad sign that we are stillI seeing tiny worms at the end of the day? I am going to have to take anxiety medication myself to get through this. How does anyone ever beat these things? In general, how long should we expect this continue before seeking further medical assistance? It has only been a week and a half, but it has been two days since the albendazole. I'm sure I'm very impatient, but I'm feeling very pessimistic thay we can rid ourselves of these things.

The advantage of mebendazole over the other drugs is that it is taken over a 3 day period thus covering you for longer than single dose medication.The small pinworms will also gradually die out as reinfection is controlled by frequent showers,cleaning bed linene and cleaning other surfaces where eggs may possibly be found.The nignt gown/pyjamas and underwear should be washed thoroughly and separately as it will contain the most eggs,please do not wash them with other clothes.It will take 3 courses ,3 week apart to get full resolution of the problem,the young/small pinworms are normally more drug resistant.Treating the whole household simeltaneously,strict hand washing before eating anything is essential.We normally use mebendazole in doses of 100 mgms twice a day for three days as a single course,three courses 3 weeks apart.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor