Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani, Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology
54460990

Lately I've been experiencing sharp pain that travels from

Customer Question

Lately I've been experiencing sharp pain that travels from under my left breast and chest, up through my armpit. Sometimes it travels as far up as my left shoulder. It seems to be happening more frequently. A few times a week.
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: The pain catches my breath, but I'm not out of breath. I've experienced this on occasion but not this consistently
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything. I just had a six month review for continuing prescriptions. My check-up was good. I take thyroid medicine and Venlafaxine
Category: Medical
Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 12 months ago.

I'll be glad to help.

The most important thing to rule out in this case would be a heart attack waiting to happen. The presentation can be typical of a blockage in one of the heart arteries. Your provider may start routine screening with an EKG and a referral to a Cardiologist for further evaluation that may include a range of things including stress tests.

I would recommend that you seek urgent care. It would not be a bad idea to take a full dose aspirin daily, and the next time you experience the pain, report to the nearest ER.

Wish you best of luck,

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please leave a positive rating.