Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have degree in physical therapy so understand the basic…

I have degree in physical...
I have degree in physical therapy so understand the basic about the nervous system. My questions is that for the past 3 months I have had my muscle belly between my index finger and thumb twitch in both hands. Note i have no sensation problems or strength deficits as I weight train vigorously 5 days a week. I only know the twitching is present if i put my index finger in abduction the twitch will come. At rest no twitches are present. Also for work i Document a good part of my day on a IPAD mini with a keyboard. Could this just be muscle stress in my index/thumb muscle belly? My worst concern is ALS. I have no known neurological disorders present in my family.
10/26/2016
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

From what you posted, I very, very much doubt that you have ALS.

This is probably myokymia. Please allow me to explain:

It sounds like you are suffering from myokymia. This is not really related to your past history of Bells Palsy but rather is due to an irritation of the nerves/muscle fibers of the muscle group that is twitching.

The good news? It is not a sign of something serious.

The bad news? There is no pill to take, exercise to do or surgery to perform to fix it.

What do you do to make things better? Well, in the majority of cases it goes away by itself in about 3 weeks or so. You can also get more sleep, decrease "stress" (whatever that may be :) in your life, decrease caffeine intake and generally take it easy.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD