Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I've just been prescribed Metronide for an infection in my

Customer Question

I've just been prescribed Metronide for an infection in my mouth along with for a week. I am going to a party on Saturday and I've been told not to take it with alcohol. Can I start it for a couple of days, stop then restart on sunday
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: Yes to both. After a couple of days of thinking I had cut my gum, (something I have done before), I went and got it looked at. Not a cut gum. A week of not eating right has caused a slight case of periodontal something he said.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: nothing
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for this question. Well while you can certainly stop it for a day and the restart afterwards, it is NOT recommended the reason being that the levels of the drug would drop in your system which would reduce its efficacy. The reason we as doctors always tell patients not to miss doses of antibiotics is that, consistent dosing is required to maintain a certain level of the antibiotic in your body. This level is necessary to achieve optimal bacterial killing, if teh level falls below the required range then the antibiotics would stop working. Now a single day wouldnt make that much of a difference however it will reduce the efficacy of the antibiotic itself and you would probably need a couple of extra days of antibiotics to achieve the same effect. So my recommendation is to get through this course and NOT stop the antibiotic even for a single day.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/