Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I was in the ER yesterday with costacondritis. I haven't

Customer Question

I was in the ER yesterday with costacondritis. I haven't been given any reason why a have it. This the 3rd time I've had an attack. I'm at home now trying to fight off the pain with Advil. At the ER they always seem baffled. This is so painful. Any ideas? Kathy
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: This last time I felt twinges of pain in my sides for a few days before it got so bad I had to go to the ER. I was treating it with Advil trying to get the inflammation under control but that didn't work. It turned into a full blown attack. I was in the ER from 9:30 - 2:30 and all they could do was give me as many drugs as my body could handle. Morphine, Oxycodone, and some other things I hadn't heard of. I was having a hard time breathing and even stopped breathing for a moment. They put me on oxygen to help with that. I'm 62 year old and it really wears me out for days afterward.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I use a C pap machine. I have fibromyalgia, slight high blood pressure,which I'm taking meds for , take Omeprazole daily, and Paroxetine 40 mg daily. The thought of having another attack is unbearable. This first time I had one was about 8-9 years ago. The ER at that time had know idea what was wrong with me and just pumped me full of high powered drugs to try and relieve the pain.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

are you having panic attacks? anxiety or panic attacks can cause you to have chest pains and cause difficulty breathing.

you should get a pulmonary function test to check for asthma attacks as well. severe asthma can cause chest pains and difficulty with breathing.