Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

About 3 weeks ago, I'm no good with guessing time frames, my

Customer Question

About 3 weeks ago, I'm no good with guessing time frames, my right thumb swelled up and started hurting terribly. No open wounds are visible. On the inside, closest to my finger it looks like something is trying to push out.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: At least 2 weeks The pain is really bad.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Ni No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you attach a picture of the area here? What is your age?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just turned 47. Trying to attach pics but it won't let me

I just got your picture, ill get back to you with an answer in a few minutes after evaluatiing it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, thanks

Well from the picture it looks like that you may have developed arthritis of the thumb and its joints. This can be due to a number of causes, the first one which comes to mind is that you could have gout which can sometimes present with arthritis in the thumb rather than in the toe. This can cause severe pain and swelling and redness in the affected joint. The diagnosis can be made with the help of a clinical examination and with blood tests including uric acid levels. A xray of the joint would also be useful. Now the treatment inviolves using NSAIDs like motrin or aleve for the inflammation however sometimes steroids are necessary. In the long term diet adjustment and other drugs like allopurinol are needed.

Another cause of this could be a bacterial infection in the region which can cause similar symptoms. This would need to be treated with the help of antibiotics along with anti inflammatory agents as well. Now lastly this can also be due to autoimmune causes such as rheumatoid arthritis but it is less likely since only one joint is involved.

My suggestion is to start using OTC motrin or aleve right now and at the same time see your doctor for further testing as well as a final diagnosis and stronger meds.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/