Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My husband is on dialysis, he seems to be having a problem

Customer Question
with shortness of breath. Last...
My husband is on dialysis, he seems to be having a problem with shortness of breath. Last Wednesday after his treatment he experienced sob so we called the EMTs and they came. Checked him but by the time they had gotten here he was doing much better. Everything went well until today when he went to Dialysis and came home he experienced sob again but it was worse than Wed. I called EMTs again and he was taken to the ER and while there he had two more episodes. They did a heart x-ray where dye was injected. The told him nothing showed. They released him. He has no appetite. Right now he is having another episode and yawns quite a bit. I was a nurse long ago and seem to remember learning something about yawning and the heart. He also has a Pap machine to help him breathe and this seems to have started when he went on this machine. Can you please help?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Jis mom had a heart problem. He is 77 years old. His health is, I would say, fair.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He had kidney Cancer and it was removed along with the kidney about fifteen years ago. Then Hypertension took his other kidney. He's had a Cholecystectomy, appendectomy, Rotator Cuff arthoscopy sp., knee replacement surgeries. He is obese, weights about 240 lbs, blood pressure is runs around 100/70.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
10/22/2016
Doctor: Moe Zafarani, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani, Doctor

as a Cardiologist I understand your concerns, I'll be glad to help.

I would agree with you 100% in regards ***** ***** work up. Heart and kidney disease often go hand in hand. The most likely etiology behind his symptoms could very well be cardiac. His cardiac function as well as coronary status need to be established with further diagnostic testing - an evaluation by a cardiologist is imperative.

3 other suggestions in addition to above to help the cardiologist make an accurate assessment:

1) please measure his blood pressure when these episodes occur

2) please listen to his lungs if you are able to when these episodes occur

3) it would be ideal if he wears a heart monitor for at least two days to find out about any arrhythmia

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

If your question has been answered to your satisfaction, please don't forget to leave a positive rating.

I wish you and him best of luck,

warm regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your expertise, Doctor. When he came home from the Er he had another episode so again I called the mets where they checked his blood pressure and oxygen levels. Said everything was fine. I still thought he should be hospitalized in case he had a bad night And I couldn't help him here at home. The met' said that if he went in with the same thing they probably wouldn't admit him because they hadn't found anything wrong during the day when he was there. So if there was a chane that he wouldn't be admitted why take him in and before they left he seemed to be better. I told them that I would keep an eye on him. I am watching him closely. It is 1:30 am and seem to be sleeping, a bit restless. The soft stool bums continue with an urge to go but nothing comes out, just the urge is there and it's kept him awake. In the am I will call his cardiologist and nephrologist and let him know what has transpired. Thank you for your attention.

he is very fortunate to have you by his side.

best wishes,

Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani, Doctor