Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My wife has been drinking for 2 weeks and wants to stop.Can

Customer Question

my wife has been drinking for 2 weeks and wants to stop.Can you help.First language Russian also good English
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Anyone there
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Its happened before and is a nervous reaction to stress.She can stop herself sometimes,but has too much toxin to stop without help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your wife. Can i ask has she been drinking before the last 2 weeks? Any past history of chronic alcohol use? Is she on any other medications?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Some but only after stress otherwise she does,nt drink.Thyroxine for Thyroid and Valsartan for blood pressure.but i need to see someone as she is getting very anxious.Using Distraneurine,but cant stop drinking,needs medical intervention please

Thank you for the additional information.

Now the thing is usually a person does not get addicted to alcohol after using it for two weeks. Well atyleast they dont develop physical dependence on alcohol but they can be psychologically addicted to alcohol. I think in your wifes case she has become psychologically addicted to the alcohol and that is why she is using it as support for managing her stress. Secondly since she is on Distraneurine, mixing this drug with alcohol is EXTREMELY dangerous and both of them can act together and cause her to fall unconscious and also cause her breathing to stop if it is taken in high doses.

Right now she needs IMMEDIATE medical care and that can only be provided with psychological and physical support by taking her to a rehabilitation center where they can give her drugs like disulfiram or even naltrexone which can stop her from drinking and at the same time start her on psyhcotherapy so that she can overcome this problem. this should not be managed at home and if needed you can even take her to ER where she can be managed for immediate effects.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/