Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Does a flattened diaphragm always lead to COPD? Or is it

Customer Question

Does a flattened diaphragm always lead to COPD? Or is it just one symptom of incipient or actual COPD. Thank you!
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have not seen a doctor yet, having just found out about it less than a week ago in chest X-ray. So thr only "medicine" I take for it is that i exercise reguarly, with an emphasis on strething my chest through deep breathing while fast walking, or with weights.
JA: Welcome! How can I help with your medical question?
Customer: Hi again. My medical question above was whether a flattened diaphragm could be a symptom of COPD, or might it have contributed as a cause of COPD, or did it just flatten on its own?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I have had some slight difficulty in speaking for long periods of time for many years, and I believe the quality /strength of my voice has been affected. Therefore, probably for 30 plus years I have had this condition. It does not trouble me much when I am fast walking or just sitting and working, reading, etc.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Only that I had polio when I ws 9 yrs. old (i am 71 now)), and do not think the polio so long ago is causing any other issues. It was a very mild case.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

A flattened diaphragm is not a cause of COPD -- no to that ..

It is typically a sign of COPD

A person with good health but a very good full deep breath might be indicative of flattening of the diaphragm so this by itself is not entirely specific ...

Have you a history of smoking ?

Asthma ?

Do you have shortness of breath ? Cough ? Wheezing ?

These would be more significant symptoms ...

You may if there is concern of COPD have testing done >> spirometry to tell the details of your pulmonary function

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD