Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My mother suffers from sciatica for the last few years. Her

My mother suffers from sciatica for the last few years. Her condition has aggravated recently and she is unable to move - almost bed ridden. Among other issues, she suffers from IBS, and is also on medication for diabetes and BP.While all other issues are more or less under control, the lack of mobility and dependence on others disturbs her the most. She was recently diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and is in extreme pain. Considering her age (68) and physical strength, surgery was not recommended for her by her Doctor and that is much appreciated.
Physiotherapy has been initiated for her. Is there any other form of treatment that will help her?

Im sorry to hear about your mother. The sciatica can be managed with the help of other treatment modalities apart from surgery. This depends on the severity of the sciatica and also the location at which the compression is taking place. The common treatment options for this would include,

1) Epidural injections - these can provide relief for months at a time and can be considered in some cases where surgery is not possible. The diabetes that she has, would not be affected too much by a single shot of steroids into the spine.

2) TENS - this basically uses small electrical currents to stimulate the nerves over a period of time which can be used to control the pain of sciatica. This can be done at home even.

3) radiofrequency ablation - This is basically a procedure in which the nerves which are causing the pain would be targeted and ablated (in layman terms burned) to control the pain.

4) Rhizotomy - which is variation of the above ablation

I think in her case TENS therapy with epidural injections would be the most useful in controlling her pain.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Doc.
I must mention that my Mom is in India. Could you share the commercial name of the epidural injections you recommended?
Also, are pharmacy bought TENS devices suitable or would you recommend any particular type?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Epidural injections - are these the same ones / similar to those administered at the time of delivery?

The epidural injections are mostly steroids, there are several types and they are not the same as those administered during delivery. Those are anesthetics agents, the steroids which would be administered would depend on her severity of pain, usually triamcinolone or prednisolone can be used but it can vary. Secondly, the TENS devices which are found in the pharamacy are adequate provided they are used correctly. her doctor can teach her how to work it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you ��