Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Dr., You know that I had my lumpectomy in January 2014, and

Customer Question
Dr. David,You know that I...
Dr. David,You know that I had my lumpectomy in January 2014, and they got BAD margins.Then I had chemo. I would have thought that the teeny tiny bad margins would have been completely killed by the chemo.But when I had my mastectomy in September, they still found some cancer.I had assumed it was just that lobular cancer divides slowly, and the chemo couldn't kill it, no matter how small it was.But now that I've found out chemo doesn't kill stem cells, I think that what was left over was stem cells in my breast. They could never do the ER+ or - pathology on it, because it was so small. They just know it was a bit of cancer.Also, I just found out that my surgeon did not get good margins on the perinodal tissue. She said she took each lymph node out separately even though she knew there was perinodal involvement. She said the radiation would get the rest.But she is wrong about that. Radiation doesn't kill stem cells. So if any of that perinodal involvement was stem cells, I'm in big trouble.What do you think of (1) the possibility that that was a stem cell in my breast after the mastectomy (2) the bad margins on the perinodal involvement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
10/17/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

no one can see stem cells, pathologist can't see stem cells

you are bring back things from 2 years ago.

there is nothing you can do about it

you need to stop worry

there is no evidence which points to you having stem cells.

I would not worry about cancer being in your arm pit or axilla

you have not have a recurrence of your breast cancer in more than 2 years.

most recurrences of breast cancer comes back in the first year or two.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they can see stem cells--they just look like regular ER- cells. They have to do chemical tests on them to see if they are stem cells, right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or I think they can even look ER+, but the chemical tests show they are stem cells

no, there are no chemical tests to look for stem cells.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You don't know that they look for CD44-/24+ or whatever?

those CD cell markers don't look for breast cancer stem cells.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they do, I don't think I can rate you for this. I am sorry.

then you know more about breast cancer stem cells than a doctor than.

Family Physician, Doctor