Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

Cornea scar surgical options

Customer Question

Cornea scar surgical options
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Ashori here, please tell me what the reason is for the surgery, is it because your vision has worsened due to the scar? What was the reason for the scar?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Corneal scar depth 28 microns centrally located corneal thickness 486 vision. Would like 20/ 20 vision or better
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

The options are either laser or local excision.

It depends on the surgeon's skills and what they are most comfortable with. Laser is nice because it's accurate but because your corneal thickness is adequate either procedure would do fine.

Laser has a short recovery and local excision has a longer recovery.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

Depending on how wide the scar is and how much granulation tissue you have around it 20/20 is quite likely. Sometimes you might need a second surgery but it usually is attainable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is ectasia a concern with lamellar keratoplasty and lasik prk due to thin cornea
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

Yes it's a risk but with very thin corneas, unlikely to happen in your case.

Even if it were to happen usually a good ophtho can see it, recognize it and treat it with steroids or other kinds of eye drops.

It can happen with either of the procedures you mentioned.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

Though with a PRK a thin cornea wouldn't be much of a concern to begin with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is 486 nm cornea thin I am severely myopic -8.5 diopters
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

Though 500 and above is the range considered to be risk free quite a few patients fall well below that.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

At 486 you still have plenty of stroma so your chances of good healing is quite good especially when it comes to managing corneal scars.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Who would you recommend my corneal specialist doesn't seem interested in surgery
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

Well it depends on how much it is affecting your vision.

They prefer not to do surgery because it's hard to predict how patients heal. Some heal well and there is no problems, others end up with infections and worsening vision should there be complications.

So if the vision is very bad and worsened by the corneal scar then it's probably okay to take on the risk of the surgery. However, if you can control the vision with lenses then I too would recommend not having the surgery done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vision is hazy corrected to 20/25 with scleral lens which is uncomfortable -- of course haze has not improved and higher order refractive errors still exist- profound glaring star shaped lights reflect off of illuminated objects and a slight double vision effect on the affected eye. Any surgeon u recommend
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

So it sounds like with the visual defects you are experiencing a second opinion would be advisable.

I can't recommend anyone that would be a corneal specialist. However, I have had very happy patients who have seen corneal docs over at the UCLA Eye Center, you might consider that if that's in your neighborhood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for help
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

Best of luck with the surgery if you choose that route.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 year ago.

Hope my answers were helpful.
Please click on "Rating" so that we can complete this transaction.

Dr. Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 12 months ago.

Hope the information I provided was helpful.

If you have other questions please let me know.

When you are done please rate this post so that I can be paid for my work.