How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Moe Zafarani Your Own Question
Moe Zafarani
Moe Zafarani, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 102
Experience:  Cardiology
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Moe Zafarani is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has difficulty swallowing. No pain, just can't eat

Customer Question

My son has difficulty swallowing. No pain, just can't eat very much. Feels fine, could this be he needs his throaT STRETCHED?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 10 months ago.

I'll be glad to help.

How long has this been going on?

How old is he?

Does he have any fevers or rashes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2 or 3 months 48 No
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you give me an answer? I do not see it.
Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 10 months ago.

Does he smoke?

Does he have any hoarseness in his voice?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He does smoke No hoarseness.
Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your patience and the answers.

With smoking, there is always risk of esophageal cancer, especially in middle age men.

Difficulty swallowing that has been going on for only a couple of months is very concerning for this.

The first step is to visualize the esophagus with an upper endoscopic procedure (called EGD) - not only pictures, but biopsy of the affected and/or questionable areas can be taken and sent off to lab for analysis.

There is also a stretching procedure that you refer to, but the most important thing at first would be to see what the cause of this is, and to make sure it is not malignant.

Meanwhile, encourage him to stop smoking.

He should be evaluated by Gastroenterology.

Best wishes,

Expert:  Moe Zafarani replied 10 months ago.

Please don't forget to leave a positive rating if the question has been answered to your satisfaction.

Also feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

Warm regards,