How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Benjamin Isakson Your Own Question
Benjamin Isakson
Benjamin Isakson,
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2
Experience:  Physician at Exer Urgent Care
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Benjamin Isakson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a brownish fluid type lump on the inside of one eye

Customer Question

I have a brownish fluid type lump on the white inside of one eye .local GP originaly gave drops for allergy type problem , no change ,reffered me to specialist , who said they were fully comitted with more urgent cases.Eye got quite red on same part , self treated with Brolene conjuntivitis eye drops , which removed most of the "red eye", but not the fluid lump. Suspect a form of conjunctivitis , as inner part of other eye has a slight iritation , both eyes have a weepy-ness from same areas .Problem seemed to start with what felt like a foreign object , in the eye , with a fluid lump . Question is do I panick , and seek assistance privatly , from an eye specialist .Have had problem for approximatly 6 weeks.
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: First noticed about 6 weeks ago ,lump seemes to have fluid in it .GP observed same ,strangely originaly seemed to move around under the skin of the white ,right up to the iriss edge then down /back again . seems to be stable in position now.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Probably should add that I had prostate removal operation approx 2 &1/2 months ago ,recovering really well ,current medical pills is one tablet of Metoprolol succ. Ta23.75mg , and 2 tablets of 100mg Allopurinol , per day --- blood presure and gout
Expert:  Benjamin Isakson replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I am sorry to hear about that.

It’s difficult to know for sure without seeing it, but what you are describing sounds like a pinguecula or a pterygium. These are abnormal but not dangerous growths of connective tissue on the surface of the eyeball. Usually they are asymptomatic or slightly irritating, but when they become bigger or involve the visual field, they can be very troublesome to patients. Often times eye drops are prescribed to help with the local irritation. Other treatments include avoiding prolonged exposure to UV rays from sunlight, protecting your eyes from dusty conditions, and using artificial tears when your eyes are especially dry.

If it was a serious infection or other more serious problem, it would likely have progressed significantly over the weeks, and would be likely to cause significant pain or vision changes.

Still, I would recommend non-urgent follow-up with an ophthalmologist for a detailed exam and further discussion of your treatment options.

Good Luck!