Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Do Schnauzer dogs cause less allergy with those that in

Customer Question
Thank you. Do Schnauzer dogs...
Thank you. Do Schnauzer dogs cause less allergy with those that in general suffer from dog allergy?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: It's my son, he has mild allergy to dogs in general but he has astma. His doctors are debating whether the schnauzer in the house (which he doesn't "feel" allergy from directly - while he feels lots of allergies directly) is causing his asthma to be worse?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: that's all
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
10/12/2016
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your son. Now there is NO dog breed which is safe for people who have allergies, this is because allergies occur because of certain things which are produced by the dog namely dander, saliva and urine. All dogs produce these things so basically speaking there is no particular dog breed which would cause no allergies in a person. However that being said, it is true that certain people do not respond the same way to certain breeds of dogs as other people do. This means that while one person may be allergic to schnauzers another person may NOT be allergic to them. There is a also a list of dogs which are called as hypoallergenic dogs which includes schnauzers because they produce a less amount of dander etc as compared to other breeds. Each allergy sufferer is different, and the so-called hypoallergenic dogthat causes no reaction in some people may cause an allergic reaction with others. Only you will be able to determine which dog breed is best suited for your son. If he does not have allergies which are as bad with schnauzers when compared to other breeds that would mean that he is less alllergic to them.

So simply put yes schnauzers have been considered as hypoallergenic in certain cases however that isnt necessarily the case with all individuals. in your sons case, as you have described, if he doesnt have worsening of his symptoms when the dog is around then it is possible that he is not allergic to the dog. Secondly a simple way of checking this would be to have a friend or another family member take care of the dog for a little while and see if that helps in improving your sons asthma. If it improves when the dog is not around that would mean that his asthma does get worse because of the dog and if it doesnt, that would mean that the asthma is not related to the dog.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor