DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My condition began about 6 weeks ago with sudden

Customer Question

My condition began about 6 weeks ago with sudden breathlessness upon minimal exertion like stirring a cooking pot. It was accompanied by upper back pain. It has escalated to extreme violent coughing (sounds like seals barking) brought on by eating, drinking, talking, and positionally by lying down at night and getting up in the morning. There are also wheezing and whistling from my chest especially when lying down. There are copious amounts of green and yellow colored mucus. I started azithromycin Zpack yesterday and the mucus is lightening up. I have seen my PC, ER, Urgent care and gotten a second opinion. I have had 3 chest x-rays and a CT scan all of the lungs/Bronchi. The answers all range from suspected PE (ruled out with CT scan in ER) to allergies. post nasal drip and lots of head scratching. If it weren't for the near choking and painful results in my neck and back from the coughing I would be content to ride this out. But the last coughing (non productive) episode about 30 minutes ago was particularly frightening as I nearly blacked out. It was brought on (after eating ice cream ) by voice texting and ended with a flapping/vibrating sensation in the back of my throat. If any of the other doctors who have seen me for this happen to be online, please don't be offended. I just need a definitive answer and fast.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you have any fever ?

Chest pain ?

Any known allergies ?

Have you seen an ENT doctor as well?

Please clarify was PE ruled out on scanning ?

Regards

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Chest pain after coughing episodes
Mild fever on and off 99.4
Wool allergy. Dust mites and tomato sensitivity only according to skin test.
No ENT. Just 2 PC's ER, and PAC at urgent care
PE ruled out on CT SCAN but some odd notations. Will add report
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not able to add report here. Will email. This system is asking if I want a phone call. I do not.

Thanks for the information

I think your current symptom of coughing is related to a sinus problem. Sinus problem can give such coughing and also a post nasal discharge. Sinus allergy or a sinus infection are most likely reason for such symptoms. In my view you will be better served if you see a qualified ENT specialist to assess your sinuses. A CT Scan of the para nasal sinus will be required as well. The feeling of choking which you experience is due to pooling of secretions from the sinuses over the vocal cord/airways. I think you will feel better if the sinus issue is addressed properly. So make an appointment with an ENT doctor. In the meanwhile you can take some anti histamine like Cetrizine,Nasocort drops and Sudafed to help improve your symptoms. A PPI like Omeprazole will also help in reducing the acid secretion in your stomach which can further worsen the cough due to regurgitation of acid upward toward the airways

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Regards

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have post nasal drip. My sinuses and nasal passages are not involved. Thank you for your opinion. I realize medical questions are better handled in person. JustAnswer is not the proper forum. Chat over.

You are welcome

The hindrance or limitation is that we cant examine a person physically on this forum. A normal X-ray and CT scan of chest mainly rules out a lung pathology so the other reason for such symptom should be searched for. Sinus problems are the common culprit. As you haven't seen any specialist of the field so I suggested you to start with an ENT .

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

Regards

Are you with me ?

Do ask if any more question

Regards

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Nothing personal but I do not feel satisfied with the service offered on this forum. It is rather generic in nature and does not address my particular set of circumstances. As stated earlier I do not believe I can get what I need without a face to face interaction. That is not your fault but nonetheless I do not feel it merits a $52 fee or a rating above 2 stars. I would rather not hurt your reputation by leaving you a 2 star rating but if that is my only option I will reluctantly do so. I hope you can understand my situation as a consumer.

Alright no problem. I understand your point . Its okay if you don't rate my services

Good luck

Regards

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for understanding.

You are always welcome

Will try to offer better service to you that satisfy you

Regards