How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 55465
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a descending bowel. It (the bowel) comes out several

Customer Question

I have a descending bowel. It (the bowel) comes out several inches. I can push it back in, but it will come out again, sometimes right away and sometimes at the next bowel movement. I don't know what it it or what to do about it.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have mentioned it to my doctor, and he said there is surgery for it, but it is a hard, hard surgery. I take a whole lot of medicines. I am 86 years old.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had cancer several years ago, but it was in my right mandible; I had radiation for quite a whilel. I had an episode in Januray of 2015 when my blood pressure went up to 221 over 142, but I had NO stroke. I spent almost month in the hospital, and 4 weeks in a rest home for therapy.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: I don't know what you mean.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for this question

This is called a rectal prolapse.

The surgery isn't that bad actually.

They simply tighten the muscles around the anus to hold in the rectum.

I would ask for a referral to a colorectal surgeon to talk about it.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 9 months ago.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

if you have more questions, just reply