Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My nose starts bleeding heavy every 3 to 4 hours. How can I

Customer Question
stop it ?...
My nose starts bleeding heavy every 3 to 4 hours. How can I stop it ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/8/2016
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi Dr. Ashori here.

How long has this been going on? And are you on any blood thinners such as:

• coumadin
  • aspirin
  • advil
  • aleve

The best way to get it to stop is to get some vasalene or bacitracin and start coating the inside of the nostrils heavily. Then avoid coughing or sneezing, anything that might raise your pressure such as getting angry or exercising.

Avoid any of the blood thinners I mentioned.

If you are taking any allergy meds stop those, they will thin and dry out your nostril mucous membranes and make you bleed more.

Try to sit up more rather than laying down.

When you get bleeding apply gentle pressure against the nares and hold for 5 minutes.

Then recoat the inside of the nostril with vasalene, you may have to do this coating thing 10-12x per day.

Use a humidifier next to your bed because you are going to want to prevent dryness.

This should be a great way to control and stop the bleeding.

If it continues there are other tricks you can do at home but please try these first.

The next step would be to get gauze from the store that's sterile, coat it in vasaline and put them inside of the nose, leave in for 1 day and remove and change every 24 hours.

Hope my answers were helpful.
Please click on "Rating" if you don't have any other questions so that we can complete this transaction.

Dr. Ashori

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD