Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

If I have a possible pheochromocytoma or paraganglioma, is…

If I have a possible...
If I have a possible pheochromocytoma or paraganglioma, is it contraindicated for me to use flonase?
10/8/2016
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you can use flonase nasal steroid spray. that is safe.

yes, even if you have pheochromocytomas or paragangliomas.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have had two separate 24hr urine collection test, checking for elevated metanephrines.
I have attached my most recent results. These results are higher than the first ones, that were on slightly elevated. I asked the endocrinologist to repeat the test, bc I have continued to lose weight, feel anxious, especially early in am, sweat, feel brain fog most all the time, have blood pressure spikes, palpitations, heart rate spikes as high as 190. Then I am left feeling completely wiped out. The endocrinologist I have been seeing doesn't think the "modest elevation is indicative of adrenal tumor, although I have all the classic symptoms and have had increased urine metanephrines. I'm asking you, would you recommend seeking the advice (2nd opionion) of another endocrinologist?

you can always see another endocrinologist.

but I also don't think your levels are indicative of a pheo

it sounds like you have generalized anxiety disorder or excessive anxiety symptoms.

you may benefit from medications to help decrease your anxiety symptoms.

have you tried them before?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried, Prozac, Celexa, Cymbalta.
The prozac was first one, and had a horrible reaction to it after two weeks of taking it. Mild serotonin syndrome like physiological symptoms. Tachycardia, extremely adrenal rush, heating up in chest, diaphoretic, then tremors, nausea and vomitting. After that tried others, with same reaction just not as bad.

you should also use diazepam or clonazepam as well when deeded while on those medicaitons

you may do better with sertraline (zoloft) or paroxetine (paxil)

those symptoms you are mentioning are not from the medications

they are from your anxiety disorder not being controlled.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They didn't happen until I was on medication for about two weeks, and they decreased and completely stopped after about a week.I still have anxiety and depression, that's why I started the Prozac, but after trying it and the the two other meds and having those reactions, have been afraid to try anything else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am completely ready to get this anxiety and depression under control believe me!
I just can't deal with those terrible side effects of the antidepressants that I have tried. They horrified me. Thought I was having an MI

are you seeing a psychiatrist regularly? and psychotherapist? you should be

ask about diazepam and clonazepam.

you haven't tried Effexor which could help. also you haven't tried zoloft or paxil.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am currently taking metoprolol and xanax, but this is not a longterm solution. I want to get off the Xanax, but as it is right now, the only anxiety relief I am getting.
I have also started progesterone BHRT cream. My gyn says I am estogen dominant. Could that cause any problems with neurotransmitters? The estogen dominance?

no, the esrogen dominance should not cause a problem with your neurotransmitters.

ask about hydroxyzine which can help decrease anxiety

ask about propranolol which can help as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about the depression? Hormones have anything to do with the depression?

no, most likely not hormone related.

it sounds like you have generalized depression and anxiety disorder.

you need to get on some form of anti-depressant that works for you to help decrease your anxiety and depression symptoms

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to try to get in with psychiatrist. Maybe they can help find something that will work without horrible side effects.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician