Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Did I have a heart attack? No family history of heart

Customer Question
Did I have a heart...
Did I have a heart attack?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: No family history of heart disease. Health is okay. Had an EKG that came back fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2016
Doctor: Dr. Amir, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to have few important details. You are having chest pain right now? Your age and any history of heart disease or any known medical illnesses? Any shortness of breath?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Slight chest pain, the chest pain is very on and off. It feels like my chest muscles are being pulled. I am 19, and no known history of heart disease or family heart disease. Slight shortness of breath, almost like I am hyperventilating?

Thanks for coming back. I would like to say that you don't likely to have any heart disease. It is important to investigate any thyroid disorder, anemia and electrolyte imbalance with the help of blood tests. I will also suggest to have 24 hour holter monitor and stress test for heart. Sometimes acid-reflux disease and anxiety attack can present like that. I will advise you to see physician for complete evaluation and above tests.

I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Don't worry if you forget anything you can always come back to me.

Best wishes

Dr. Amir Javed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a teadmill stress test a few months ago - I that came back fine. I had a 24 hour holter - that too came back fine. I also had an echocardiogram which that too came back fine. Had blood test done to check for thyroid levels, from what I understand that too was good. Only concern about my blood test was high calcium level and low vitamin D.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also feel very hot? Kinda of like I have a fever inside? But I had my temperature taken a few days ago and it was normal. Also, have sweaty palms and soles of feet.

Thanks for the details. In that case, I would suggest not to worry at all as all your heart tests came back normal. This is not all any heart disease. I will suggest to ask your physician to investigate for acid-peptic disease which can present like heart pain. Low vitamin D level can also makes the bones fragile. Also to investigate any autoimmune disease and anxiety condition.

Best wishes

Dr. Amir Javed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much Doctor. My last question is that even though the tests I had months ago (stress tests, echocardiogram, and holter) came back normal, is it possible for something to drastically change in the span of a few months?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, could this be anxiety? I've been stressed lately as well with school and work and preparing for this hurricane. It's just weird that if it were anxiety, it presents itself in this way.

No dear I can assure that this is not heart disease and especially in yours age group heart disease is very unlikely with all your investigations came back normal. Follow the guidelines which I have given you and you may find these helpful. Yes as I mentioned this can be anxiety related symptoms you need to have treatment for anxiety.

Best wishes

Dr. Amir Javed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry if I seem a bit like a hypochondriac, I just want to be sure mothing is wrong. Last question and then I will no longer bother you lol, how do I relax my heart rate? Because my heart rate will be fast and pounding for what feels like all day long. Can anxiety produce that as well?

Yes anxiety can cause all such symptoms. I will suggest to ask your physician to prescribe you anti-anxiety medication and also refer you to psychologist for cognitive behavior therapy for anxiety that would be helpful too. Your heart rate will get lower or relaxed after anxiety treatment. Do accept or rate the answer as we doctors do get credit here only on higher ratings.

Please click positive rating hopefully excellent. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Don't worry if you forget anything you can always come back to me.

Best wishes

Dr. Amir Javed

Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor