Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm taking 18 mg of concerta and 10 of Paxil can I take both

Customer Question
in moring . I tried...
I'm taking 18 mg of concerta and 10 of Paxil can I take both in moring . I tried to take it at night but wasn't helping . Or maybe around 1 my anxiety is crazy it won't go away
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: Just started on this .. I take caladapine too all day but then I'm falling asleep
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was on vyvanse 30 a mood stabilizer and lexapro and I was beter then now I'm calmer on concerta I feel
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2016
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response ASAP!!!

Well you can use concerta and paxil at the same time in the morning as they have a very minor interaction with each other. You can ahve your doctor add a small dose of benzodiazepine at night which can help you sleep and decrease the anxiety which you have at 1 in the morning. This can be a very effective concentration.

But you can take both concerta and paxil together without any adverse effects but do talk your doctor about adding a benzo at night, preferably a short acting one like midazolam or lorazepam (ativan).

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks . And should I put my lamotrigine back in the mix

Has the lamotrigine been stopped by your doctor or did you stop using it by yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I stop using it it's only 25 mg it worked perfect at 100 mg but got a bad bump reaction. Took to other mood stabilzers and cried all day and was mean . I take trazadone at night too

Dont start using it again, since you had a reaction to the drug, its best to abstain from it until you discuss this with your doctor. Since you use trazodone at night, i think there are two options here either to increase the dose of trazodone or to start a benzo in placeof trazodone. Both of these can be tried and then we can see which one works best in your case.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is zanx a benzo cause I have that too and I don't stay asleep . I've tried everything. Everything has opposite effect on me

How much xanax have you used? what dosage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A full bar . Half of bar . I spent 20,000 last year on doc and still crazy

Actually the dose matters a lot, the dose of xanax starts from 0.25 mg to 2 mg. Each pill is a of a different dose, so there isa possibility that the pill which you used is of a lower dose. This would mean that the dose can be titrated upwards until a level is reached which is more effective in your case. Secondly if a higher dose doesnt work then you can be started on xanax PLUS trazodone and see if that helps, if that isnt helpful then xanax can be combined with escitalopram which is very helpful in many cases. There are still many options available which can be tried in your case. A drug like desvelafaxine can be helpful here as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For sleeping .. Ok I sleep fine on trazadone I'm crazy threw out the day with anxiety I'll try my Paxil now

The medications that you are on can be managed, there is still a lot which can be tried. In some cases, such as yours, combinations of medications need to be tried to see which ones fit the best, ***** ***** paxil in the morning and see if that helps and if it doesnt then we can consider adding another drug like escitalopram to the mix either in the afternoon or early evening.

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor