How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Stan Your Own Question
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2103
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Stan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering my doctor is referring me to a hematologist

Customer Question

I was wondering my doctor is referring me to a hematologist due to increased hemoglobin levels. I am a smoker and trying to quit. after all my research I think that is the reason. What benefit would going to a hematologist do for me.. I have terrible insurance and will most likely get a huge bill from this visit
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: my family doctor
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: like what?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I will be happy to help you today. Your doctor is trying to be thorough and rule out other problems that could cause hemoglobin elevation such as polycythemia. Since you are a smoker, your Hb elevation may be due to COPD. But if it is polycythemia, there is treatment that needs to be started so you don't wind up with significant medical problems.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

Have you discussed this with your doctor?