Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have one question to clarify. Given that a infected aedes

Customer Question
Hi doctor,I have one question...
Hi doctor,I have one question to clarify. Given that a infected aedes mosquito bit 3 different people on the same day, will all 3 be infected with dengue virus? And why?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
10/1/2016
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

It would be very unlikely for one mosquito to infect three people.

Another thing is that once the mosquito bites, it has already taken its meal and is full so it would usually bite only one person at one time. So the same mosquito biting three people is a little unlikely.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lets say the mosquito bit 3 person at 10am, 4pm, 10pm respectively on the same day, why is it that it is unlikely for all 3 to get infected since it carried the virus in the body?

Actually the mosquito has to have a certain amount of virus present in its saliva to cause the infection.

If it has transmitted the virus to one person, the first person will be at the highest risk as he is the one that gets the full dose of the saliva and the virus in it but the rest will be unlikely to get the infection as a certain dose of the virus is required to cause infection.

Dr. SH
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician