Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My dad, brother and i got bitten by an aedes mosquito last

Customer Question
Hi doc,My dad, brother and...
Hi doc,My dad, brother and i got bitten by an aedes mosquito last monday. On the next day, i started to fell the lost of appetite with a nausea sensation. But there isnt a fever. Then on thursday evening i experience some chill but the temperature was below 37 degrees. On friday which is yesterday, when it reaches evening again, i felt a sudden rise in temperature and it was 37.5 degree taken oral. I vomited my dinner as the nausea feel became very strong. This morning when i was awake, i felt slightly better with a temperature of 37.4 degree. I have no joint of muscle pain or any rashes. No headache. Both my dad and brother did not experience any of these.Can you please tell me by looking at the description what are the chances that i am infected with dengue? Today is the 6th day after the bite.Also, can it have this possibility that if the aedes is infected, only 1 get it out of the 3 who also get bitten by the aedes mosquito?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
10/1/2016
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay looking forward to hearing you soon

I will be posting my reply in a bit.

Sorry for the wait.

The incubation period for dengue is 4-10 days.

So symptoms happening immediately afterwards are highly unlikely due to dengue infection.

I would however like that you should have a complete blood count done.

If the platelet counts are low then I would recommend that you should be tested for dengue with a blood test.

The symptoms of dengue are nonspecific and can happen with a large number of other conditions.

The only way to be sure is to get tested.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can it have this possibility that if the aedes is infected, only 1 get it out of the 3 who also get bitten by the aedes mosquito?

Well, the thing is that the aedes mosquito has to have the dengue virus in it.

If it does not have the virus in it you will not get infected.

I would not worry so much.

I have seen and treated 100s of dengue cases.

Only rarely is it fatal even if you do get it.

More than 99% of people have full recovery.

I personally do not think that you have dengue.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest regards

Dr. SH
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician