Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
74170494

I was bitten by a dog in New York City yesterday morning

Customer Question

I was bitten by a dog in New York City yesterday morning through my jeans. I was walking my own dog and this other dog on the leash with owner lunged at my dog and I stepped in between it and got bitten. There was no blood and I did not think it broke the skin so I asked the owner, the dog has its shots right? She said yes of course this never happens etc etc. I said ok it's fine and walked to work. Once I arrived at work I noticed a small scrape at the area where the dog bit me on my calf. Again the site was not bleeding but the skin was slightly broken. We are talking about an area of skin that is less than half an inch. I put neosporin on it and went about my day. Last night I started reading about rabies and am now obviously totally freaked out. I realized there has not been an incident of rabies in a human in NYC since the fifties and there has not even been a dog to have rabies since 1992, but I'm wondering if I need to go get some sort of prophylactic rabies shot, or is that totally crazy?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 10 months ago.

You will not need a preventative shot. watch for a fever if you get one in the next 7 days then go to an urgent care. Hopefully this fully answers your question once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.