Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was at physical therapy today and the PT noticed that I

had a lump on my...
I was at physical therapy today and the PT noticed that I had a lump on my shoulder blade - it was soft and moved around a bit. When she pressed on it - I felt a slight sensation moving downward. She had not noticed in before - and wanted me to see my dr. It measures about 2" - any ideas?
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: soft - and today is the first that it was noticed
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had a similar size lump on my other shoulder blade several years ago and it was removed but it was hard - calcium deposit - very different than this - but that is all
9/29/2016
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

This is most likely a lipoma which is a harmless fatty growth commonly seen near the shoulders, and is slow growing. For a lipoma a characteristic "slippage sign" may be seen as the tumor will be felt to slip out from under, as opposed to other swellings such as a sebaceous cyst or an abscess that will not slip. Also this swelling does not produce any symptoms and the person may not even notice its presence since they are often not painful.

Therefore please do not worry about this and just have this examined by your doctor whenever you next consult him/her.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5 stars by clicking 5 stars above.

Thank you.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank You - Will it grow? Or will it go away - It looks pretty bad.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

This is not likely to go away by itself. However no treatment is usually necessary for a lipoma which does not cause any symptoms. But if this swelling is bothering you for cosmetic reasons, or if it is painful or is growing, your doctor might recommend its removal. This is a simple surgery and after surgery this won't come back.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank You.

You are welcome.

Take care.

Thank you for rating my answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is a picture - Left Shoulder

Dear customer,

This swelling is better felt since it is below the skin. However since there are no skin changes except a swelling with no clear visual margins this is consistent with a diagnosis of lipoma. Lipoma is often not felt or seen until it has grown large enough to become visible and palpable.

Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree - thank you very much. good night.

You are welcome.

Good night.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor