Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My father is 82 years old and has moderate Alzheimer's. He…

My father is 82 years...
My father is 82 years old and has moderate Alzheimer's. He is complaining of stomach pain on the lower right side. He had most of his colon removed several years ago. He cannot remember if he had a bowel movement today. Is it possible for people without a colon to be constipated? He also has a history of bowel obstructions and has surgery for those as well. I think he's probably fine but its hard to know since he has trouble explaining his symptoms
9/29/2016
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** and I am here to help you. Give me just a moment to read and think about your case and I'll reply in just a moment.

It is possible that his appendix is still in place though unlikely. When did the pain start?

Is he able to eat or is he nauseated and no appetite?

When you push on the belly is there any tenderness?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dr. Ashori,Thanks for your help!!!He does still have his appendix and I was concerned about that but wasn't sure if its an issue in someone of his age.The pain started within the last 2 hours. He did all of his normal activities today (e.g. breakfast with friends, bible study this evening without complaint).He says it hurts where he pushes on his belly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hurts where he pushes because he's pushing

If he still has his appendix unfortunately an appendicitis is possible. If it's tender he needs it evaluated possibly with another exam and maybe even a CT scan.

Is it getting worse? Is it tolerable? You could monitor him for another couple hours but if it's getting worse he needs to go in unfortunately.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is gonna sound awful but do you think it can wait until tomorrow when we can get him into his PCP? Going to the ER with him and the dementia causes extreme stress for him and me. For example, he pulls out IVs and it amps up his confusion and agitation
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I asked him what the pain was on a scale of 1 to 10 he said 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. But his pain level has not changed in last hour

I just worry that his PCP may not be able to do much for him.

Sometimes an appendix will get much more severe overnight and sometimes it will stay calm and dormant.

And it is possible that it's not even his appendix.

Again, maybe watch it for a few more hours and see how it changes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it possible he is constipated? I'm not sure how that works with no colon. But that was my first thought when he started describing the pain.

Constipation is much less likely but maybe he is having a mild obstruction. It would normally happen higher up but it can happen lower.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We'll definitely keep a close eye on him for a few hours and take him in if anything changes. He behavior is completely normal minus complaining of a tummy ach
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where he says it hurts is under a scale from a prior abdominal surgery. Not sure if that matters

Maybe examine him every couple hours, if it gets worse make sure to take him in. I know it's really hard with dementia, hopefully it'll calm down. Try a warm compress in the meantime.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Under a scar not scale
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do. Thanks for your help Dr. Ashori.

Adhesions are a possibility, but without an exam but a physician it's hard to say. Hopefully it's just that and nothing else.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have a good evening :)

thank you.