How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Stan Your Own Question
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1839
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Stan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Morning. I am experiencing a little frustration at moment

Customer Question

Morning. I am experiencing a little frustration at moment and wanted some additional guidance. 12 weeks ago, while playing softball, I experienced what seemed to be a classic sports hernia in my lower, right abdomen. Just above the pubic area on the right side. It was debilitating pain. There was a Dr. on the other team that gave me a quick physical exam at the park and believed it was a classic sports hernia, that rest for 8-10 weeks would be necessary. Which I did. After returning, I re-injured it, which he said could be expected. For the most part, it doesn't hurt daily, but only when I stress it in some way, step wrong, move wrong, etc. After dealing with this for 12 weeks, I decided to go see my primary. He examined me and was not sure it was a hernia, but referred me to a surgeon, who ordered a CAT scan. CAT scan, with contrast, came back normal. He released me saying nothing he could do surgically. My primary looked at the scan and basically said the same thing, that there is nothing wrong. My frustration is that, if it can't be surgically fixed, or something prescribed to make it better, then they threw their hands up. I KNOW there is something wrong, but neither have given me a diagnosis or what do I do from here. Maybe it's a simple as a pulled or torn muscle and just needs rest. I don't know, but $3000 later, I sure wish I had some type of direction. hoping you can help with that. Symptoms are: pain in described area. Dull mostly, but sharp when something occurs, as simple as a sneeze or wrong step. Have discomfort in right genital, and (could be unrelated) but do have some joint discomfort on inside of leg, where connects to hip. May have pulled a groin playing as well, but it tends to pop sometimes and muscle in that area VERY sore. I am 52. I realize aches and pains are part of life, but there is an issue here that I just some guidance with and not getting from current Drs. Thank you and sorry for long description, but want to be thorough.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling. No activity at all will make it not hurt, but has persisted as a lingering issue for 12 plus weeks. and does not seem to improve.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Fairly healthy and active person for being 52. I wouldn't say in good shape, but not bad. 6'2" 233 lbs
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I will be happy to help you today. I'm sorry to hear that a reason for your pain has not been found. OK, you had a negative scan that does not indicate a hernia, so the surgeon can't fix what is not found. If not a hernia, then it has to be a muscle strain. You don't indicate that you took any medication for this. May I suggest a few things. Begin taking an NSAID such as Ibuprofen 600mg (three 200mg tablets every 6 hours for a minimum of 4 weeks). If possible (Medical insurance coverage) request physical therapy from your doctor that will provide stretching 3 times a week for 12 weeks. This can be a very frustrating problem that will take 3-6 months of relative inactivity to fix.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

Have you contacted your doctor to begin therapy?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am going to see a Physical Therapist Friday. A follow up question. What do you think about the existence of pain the testicle? Is there a related muscle there that may manifest itself there? Also, the joint pain I am experiencing. Again, could be a different injury, but all three of these issue exist in the same general area. Thoughts?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

The testicular pain could be inflammation (epididymitis) or just referred pain from a muscle strain in the groin. This can be diagnosed with Testicular Ultrasound.

The joint pain could be referred from the muscle injury or arthritic. The NSAID will help with both.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 9 months ago.

Did the PT help you?