Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy tomorrow at

Customer Question

I am having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy tomorrow at 1030 am. I have relax for which I take omeprazole 20 mgs bid. I stupidly had about 6 ounces of iced coffee this afternoon before 5 pm forgetting that it can cause acid. I took an extra 20 mgs of the omeprazole but am worried if it is safe to go under general anesthesia tomorrow. I do not want to cancel the surgery if possible
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I assume that you mean reflux.

It is safe to proceed with surgery tomorrow. The 6 ounces of iced coffee this afternoon will not make it unsafe to undergo surgery. The omeprazole certainly will also help to control the reflux. The stress of surgery may exacerbate the reflux, and the surgeon and anesthesiologist may want to also give medicine tomorrow around the time of surgery., but the iced coffee this afternoon will not alter their management of the reflux.

You do not need to cancel surgery. You can go for surgery as scheduled and also be certain that the surgeon and anesthesiologist are away of your history of reflux.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.