Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

What exactly does abnormal marrow signal mean from an MRI on

Customer Question

what exactly does abnormal marrow signal mean from an MRI on a back which was done because of 15 year old vertabra injury
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes taking nothing other than vicodin for pain
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: 15 year ago crushed vertabra in accident. I work out 5 times a week and as long as core strong very little pain. Then recently more pain more offen. Exercise always makes pain less
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am on BHRT . Testoserone injections and have a little hemocromotist
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I will be happy to help you today. Thank you for this most interesting question. There are several causes of abnormal marrow signal on MRI. In your case, it is most likely due to decreased vascular presence due to your crush injury many years ago. Secondary causes could be multiple myeloma, myelodysplastic syndrome (a preleukemic syndrome), Myelofibrosis (replacement of normal bone with connective tissue) and others which are more rare. Without other significant symptoms, other than pain, it most likely is a benign "aging" problem caused by the previous trauma (crush injury) and nothing to be alarmed about. As long as you continue to exercise, it may not progress. Since your doctor is investigating this I'm sure an answer will be forth coming soon.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 months ago.

How are you feeling today?