How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 56240
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an 81-year-old male in very good health. About 6 months

Customer Question

I am an 81-year-old male in very good health. About 6 months ago I developed a quiver in my lower jaw. My jaw does not quiver when I lower my head but becomes more pronounced when I raise my head or I am in a cold environment. When I first detected the quiver I immediately made an appointment with my family doctor and he conducted a series of tests to determine if I had Parkinsons Disease. All the tests were negative.
JA: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: One possible contributing factor to my condition is the my lower jaw joints on both sides "pop" when I chew or open my jaw to the maximum..I have had this condition for many years as a result of serving as an Air Force fighter pilot, which required me to wear an oxygen mask while flying. In the early days (1960's) these masks were not well fitted for my face and to insure a seal of the mask I had to cinch the mask really tight, which put pressure on my lower jaw - the pressure was from front to back and over time my lower jaw began to pop.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I realize this is not a life threading condition but it would be helpful to know if there is anything I can now do to reduce or eliminate the quiver. For example, what kind of specialist would I need to see. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?

do you take any meds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take medications for glaucoma, atrial fibulation, and a hiatil hernia
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

what meds for glaucoma?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Timolol - one drop each eye twice a day.
Xalatan - one drop each eye once a day
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

This is due to a condition called essential tremor

it is a benign condition that runs in families

there are meds that can help but it is only necessary if it bothers you

is this helpful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I wanted to have it checked out by a specialist what kind of doctor do I need to see?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

The best doctor is a neurologist

sorry about the late reply

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for this question

Please don't forget a positive rating.
I appreciate it. :)

if you have more questions, just reply