Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

17 year old daughter no issues, no joint pains, no medical

Customer Question
complaints. Just that blood test...
17 year old daughter no issues, no joint pains, no medical complaints. Just that blood test came back 143 platelet count. Trying to pinpoint cause the ANA test came back 1:320 positive. Now appointment with rheumatologist in a few days. Very nervous. All other results look good. Any way to calm my wife in the interim?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
9/22/2016
Doctor: Dr. Abid, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor

Hi. I am Dr Abid.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Respected customer , as her ANA came back positive , In lupus, low platelets are generally due to antibodies that form against platelets and destroy them. This destruction can occur in the blood or in the spleen, an organ in the left upper part of the abdomen. Sometimes the spleen enlarges in patients with immune thrombocytopenia.

Please donot worry this is part of disease and response well when Lupus is treated , Platelets immediately go up .

As you are waiting for appointment with Rheumatologist , who will start treatment and everything will go fine .

So this little low Platelets count will go up with treatment .

Good luck .

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please take the time to leave me a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer. You can always ask me for a follow-up question post rating the answer. You can also ask for me in the future by going on the linkhttp://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-abid/”

Are you there ...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Aren't you are jumping to lupus diagnosis. Aren't there many factors and symptoms before lupus? ANA the only factor here. No other common lupus symptoms present.

Asymptomatic patients , often when there is no symptoms at all , Blood indices can be indicator of underlying disease process .

So in the presence of ANA positive , low platelets should be considered as a part of disease .

Good luck for her , this may be initial stage and at this stage early rise of Platelets can be achieved .

Regards .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One more thing. Even if something underlying, why are you going directly to lupus VS other? What about even lyme or other? What about viral or bacterial infection that is temporary or passing?

In the presence of Positive ANA and low Platelets all other possibilities that you mentioned are highly unlikely .

Regards .

Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor