Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My dad has sleep apnea and refuses to treat it. He sleeps

Customer Question
very seldomly and only for...
My dad has sleep apnea and refuses to treat it. He sleeps very seldomly and only for very short periods of time. He has not slept more than an hour at at time for the last 4 days for sure and maybe longer. He falls asleep during conversations for a few mins and then continues as he didn't know he was sleeping. He is becoming paranoid at times. Mostly he is overly happy, laughing, and energetic and claiming he does not need sleep. He's is also talking nonstop. Some of which makes sense and other is like he's reading a story. I am not sure how to help him.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
9/21/2016
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

How old is he?

why does he refuse to treat it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
64 won't wear the mask.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's obvious that he needs medical attention but I don't know who to have him see. In the past the er has sent him straight to the mental health wing. After being sedated and having iv. He returns to normal. They have kept him twice for mental health evaluation and found nothing. I hate to put him through that again

Has he considered getting a jaw device to help with sleep apnea?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We will ook into that after the present issue is taken care of

what meds is he on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
None

what is the main problem you are trying to fix here?

I'm somewhat confused?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I apologize. My question is what type of Doctor do I need to take him to? He is getting worse just in this short amount of time. He is now talking about things I don't understand or pertain to the conversation we are having. His paranoia is more profound thinking people are trying to hurt him and his family.

I would get him into an internist

An internal medicine doctor should be able to sort this out

if that doesn't work, a neurologist

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor