Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am worried that my infant may be showing signs of cystic

Customer Question
fibrosis. From birth she has...
I am worried that my infant may be showing signs of cystic fibrosis. From birth she has sounded a little raspy, but she doesn't ever cough or struggle to breath. Her forehead and does taste salty to me as well. She is 4 months old and 15 pounds, and she gains weight really well, so I wouldn't' say that she is failing to thrive. She does have silent reflux and takes zantac. Her newborn CF test was negative, but I hear that only tests for certain mutations. There's no family history of CF, but my husband and I haven't been tested to see if we are carriers. I'm just worried about her salty skin.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
9/20/2016
Doctor: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago
Michael Salama

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

While it is possible that your daughter has CF, it is unlikely considering her normal development till this point.

It’s not unusual for babies to sweat and taste salty.

Because their temperature-regulating systems aren’t fully developed, babies sweat easily.

And because sweat contains a lot of salt, it can taste salty.

If you or your doctor are still concerned about the possibility of CF, then a referral to genetics would be warranted.

However, at this time I do not think it's necessary.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating (bonus appreciated) as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Doctor: Michael Salama,
 replied 1 year ago

Is there anything else I can help you with?

If not, please don't forget to leave a rating, thanks!

Michael Salama
Michael Salama
Michael Salama