Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I had quite a bit of dark red blood in my stool about a week

Customer Question

I had quite a bit of dark red blood in my stool about a week ago. I use laxatives on a daily basis for years and suppositories often. I don't really push hard often for bowel movements and rarely have hard stool. I did use a hemroid cream for a few days after. Than again a few days ago, the same dark blood, on an easy bowel movement. No other symptoms.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Can this blood in stool considered as dark brown or black?

Ever rectal examination done?

Are you previously diagnosed with hemorrhoids?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for staying online.

The symptoms you have described of having dark red blood in stool a week ago & now again a few days ago, the same dark blood, on an easy bowel movement is called as hematochezia. Generally, the closer the bleeding site is to the anus, the blood will be a brighter red. This blood is coming from lower gastro intestinal tract. Its most common causes are: hemorrhoids,anal fissures,diverticular bleeding,intestinal infection (such as bacterial enterocolitis),inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative collitis,crohn's disease.

You need following tests:

-Stool examination,

-Anoscopy

-Ultrasound of lower abdomen,

-Rectal examination

-Colonoscopy.

As you have already used hemorrhoid cream with not much relief,I advise you to please make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests & examination done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

At your age of 67 years & having blood in stool,colonoscopy & above described tests are highly recommended.So I strongly advise you to consult your doctor regarding these tests so that exact diagnosis can be made & then treatment will be done accordingly.

If you are done,then please leave a positive rating for my answer above the chat box.If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going. Do you still have dark red colored blood in stool?

Have you made an appointment with your doctor?

If you are done,then please leave a positive rating for my answer above the chat box.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh