DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My husband is on losartan potassium 100 mg at night. He was

Customer Question

my husband is on losartan potassium 100 mg at night. He was on Carvedilol 6.25 2 in the morning and Losartan 50 mg in the morning and carvedilol 6.25 at bedtime.Neither regimen gets the diastolic below 87 > I feel that is too high on medication.Can you give me any recommendations. If he goes out and works in the garden while taking just Losartan 100mg at night. It will come down to diastolic being 77> His systolic is always 134 or 123. It is good I don't know what to recommend to my doctor.I have always thought on medication is should be in the 70's diastolic.
thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear about your husband's health

I have reviewed your husband's current medications detail. Currently he is on two drugs and it seems that the diastolic blood pressure is just slightly on the upper limit of normal. Now what could be done to keep it within normal limits is that he can ask his doctor to add a diuretic to his current medications. That will help in lowering the diastolic blood pressure further. In the mean while if the blood pressure has underwent a recent rise it would be wise if he can have kidney functions and also an echocardiogram to check if the blood pressure has not effected the kidneys.If the blood pressure stays lower than 90mm diastolic then there is nothing to worry about.But if is above 90 mm diastolic or 140 mm Hg systolic a diuretic should be added

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Regards