How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46400
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are in California but my husband receives VA disability

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, We are in California but my husband receives VA disability and Social Security Disability benefits. He is worried that using medical marijuana might cost him his VA benefits (he is unable to work and in chronic pain). We keep running into friends who swear by medical marijuana so he would like to try it so he can get off all or most of the pain medications he currently takes.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: He takes morphine and muscle relaxers. He also takes cymbalta and is on high blood pressure meds. He is allergic to Penicillin.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He has had one back surgery and got a staph infection, so he can't have any more back surgeries. He has several ruptured disks and narrowing of the disk spaces, arthritis and chronic pain.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

medical marijuana is legal in california

use of it will not cost him his VA benefits.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I thought that this was where I could get my card online, do you offer this?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

no, you have to apply in person in california at your local health department

it depends on your county

here is more information

here is a list of county health centers where you can apply

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using