Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I tested positive for methamphetamines on a urine screen and…

I tested positive for...

I tested positive for methamphetamines on a urine screen and I haven't used any drugs in years. is there any otc medicines that could cause the same result?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

It is. They tested my urine and my probation officer told me I showed positive. I have no idea how that is possible and I need some clarification to share with her tomorrow.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

A year ago I experimented with opiates so that's why I'm so confused and want to figure out what could have causes this positive.

9/13/2016
Daniel Sheibley, MD

Hello. Some over the counter medications such as pseudoephedrine - in over the counter cold medicines can test positive. Also anhydrous ammonia (in agricultural fertilizer and refrigerants) can test as positive.

If you are exposed to any of these then that could cause your positive test.

I would recommend requesting a more sensitive blood test to refute the urine test. That way they can test specifically for methamphetamine without any potential for these cross reactions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been using nyquil and vicks vapor inhalers daily for a couple weeks now. Could these affect me? Also, is there any type of a doctor's letter that could be provided to my probation officer? Thank you

I hope I answered your question to satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way I am credited for my expertise. Please don't rate bad or poor service. If your aren't 100% satisfied, click reply instead. :)

Yes those would.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you provide letters ?

No physician will write a letter because a blood test is proof enough. Plus no physician would be able to 100% attest that you had only been using those over the counter medications.

They will do a blood test if you refute the test results.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great thank you!

Did I answer your question to satisfaction? A positive rating is the only way I am credited for my expertise. Please don't rate bad or poor service. If your aren't 100% satisfied, click reply instead. :)

Daniel Sheibley, MD