Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had a cough for 3 weeks now and coughing up yellowish

Customer Question
green phlegm. I had...
I have had a cough for 3 weeks now and coughing up yellowish green phlegm. I had blood work don and my lymph absolute was 4.1....but my white blood count was normal. Shouldn't my white cell be high if my body is trying to fight off this infection.i have shortness of breath and raspy breathing. I do have emphysema and no i do not smoke..haven't for 8 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
9/12/2016
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you could have a viral bronchitis infection in your lungs or bad allergies causing the yellowish green phlegm

the best way to check for bacteria infection in the lungs is to get a sputum culture of the phlegm you are coughing up

that way, the lab can grow out the culture and see if any bacteria grows and what antibiotics it would be sensitive to if you had a bacterial infection.

this is a better way than checking the WBC white blood cell count.

I'm glad you quit smoking.

you should get a chest xray at least to check for pneumonia.

it sounds like you have been started on antibiotics already.

let me know if you have questions.

Family Physician, Doctor