Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How does it take to replenish glutamine glutamic acid in a

Customer Question
How long does it take...
How long does it take to replenish glutamine glutamic acid in a deficient body and how can you tell when an elderly person is deficient again or is there some way to guarantee that the person DOES NOT get deficient again and NOT reply on supplements if their assimilation or processing of this amino acid is faulty or is lacking? Is there some daily natural fruit or a cup of bone broth with a spoon of apple cider vinegar sufficient to support the body in making its own glutamic acid in optimal necessary amounts to support brain organs bones and all tissues.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
9/10/2016
Doctor: Schuyler - ANP, Nurse Practitioner replied 1 year ago
Schuyler - ANP
Schuyler - ANP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

The majority of people get more than adequate amounts of the amino acid glutamine in their diets. High quality sources are lean protein (beef, pork, fish, poultry), eggs, cottage cheest, milk, yogurt, dried lentils, beans and peas, raw green vegetables (spinach, endive), and other vegetables like kale, beets,Brussels sprouts, carrots, etc. Most people have intake of 1 to 6 grams per day.

L-glutamine is available as a supplement, or as part of a protein additive. Normal intake in 500 mg per day for people who have cancer, HIV, inflammatory bowel disease or are suffering from extreme injury or wound healing.

Here is a chart showing how much is in a few common foods. You can ignore everything else on the page, except the chart, since it's just an advertisement.

http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=207

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long does it take to replenish glutamine glutamic acid in a deficient body?

It's extremely rare to have such a condition. It would be secondary to cancer and its treatment or long-term starvation causing muscle wasting.

It can take about 3 months to see any significant difference in someone who actually has muscle wasting.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can you tell when an elderly person is deficient again

Your physician can order an amino acid test through any lab (Quest, LabCorp).

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean AFTER a person replenishes their glutamine levels, I should've said, what are symptoms that tell the elderly person is deficient again.

There usually are none, other than weakness and muscle wasting. If it is diagnosed after testing, then the doctor will want to repeat the lab test every 6 months or so.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there some way to guarantee that the person DOES NOT get deficient again ....by perhaps what?
A. Is it just a matter of consuming foods high in glutamic acid ?
B . if their assimilation or processing or making this glutamic acid, is faulty or is lacking in some way, what food or nutritional protocol ensures or guarantees that this amino acid is made by the body IF the person is already consuming the RDA from food

"...A. Is it just a matter of consuming foods high in glutamic acid ? ..." Yes, eating properly is the best way, but if that isn't enough, supplements may be required.

"...B . if their assimilation or processing or making this glutamic acid, is faulty or is lacking in some way, what food or nutritional protocol ensures or guarantees that this amino acid is made by the body IF the person is already consuming the RDA from food..."

If there is a problem with processing it they can do a DNA test to see if that is the case. It's an extremely rare genetic variation that normally shows up before puberty. These people have to watch their intake and take supplements all their lives.

However, it sounds like the very first step is to have the amino acids test to see if there is anything to be concerned about. Otherwise, you're just borrowing trouble.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
interesting; I might have had that done. I have to check the labs...
But also, this glutamic acid is destroyed if not kept cold or if it is heated it is ruined and doesn't work for Parkinson's patients anymore. Do you know anything about that? That it is usually destroyed by cooking? But its confusing because it is supposedly needed for SOME who have parkinsons and for others with neuro issues it creates a bad mood

"...this glutamic acid is destroyed if not kept cold or if it is heated it is ruined and doesn't work for Parkinson's patients anymore...."

Where is this coming from? A glutamine supplement is a powder that should not be given in hot beverages, if that is what you mean.

And we weren't discussing Parkinson's, just depletion of nutrients.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well Parkinson's or any brain type issue, that relys on adequate glutamine.

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body. It is stored mostly in muscle and in the lungs. Most glutamine is actually made in the lungs and muscle. It is used to make protein, and a deficiency in glutamine can lead to muscle wasting. That is the primary use for supplements. A deficiency is rare unless someone is undergoing treatment for cancer, HIV, or has had surgery or trauma. Anyone with a deficiency would exhibit muscle wasting.

Glutamine in the central nervous system is synthesized from glucose which it gets from blood. Glucose is in abundant supply in the vast majority if individuals.

Rather than focusing on hypothetical scenarios and unproven research, it is best to have the lab tests run to determine if there is such a deficiency.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Schuyler - ANP
Schuyler - ANP
Schuyler - ANP, Nurse Practitioner