How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Josh Your Own Question
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5177
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Josh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At softball I hurt my the muscle near my shin while running.

Customer Question

At softball I hurt my the muscle near my shin while running. I tried ice and it's gotten worse. Almost unbearable.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 10 months ago.


Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

When did your muscle hurt while running?

Are you hit by anything?

Is there swelling?

What is the severity of pain on scale of 1-10?

It will be very helpful if you can attach a picture of this?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards


Expert:  Dr Josh replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The symptoms you have described of getting hurt by the muscle near your shin while running can be due to a condition called shin splints also called as Medial tibial stress syndrome.It is probably the most universally-known running injury. It is an inflammation of the muscles, tendons, and bone tissue around your tibia.

The most common symptom of shin splints is pain along the border of the tibia. Mild swelling in the area may also occur.

X-rays of the affected area taken as part of any investigative work-up in people with shin splints are typically reported as being entirely normal.

To treat this,first you need RICE formula:

· Rest,

· Ice,

· Compression (with a bandage)

· Elevation.

  • Although you have applied ice & it got worse,this is not due to application of ice but the symptoms got worse because of the condition.Ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore reduces inflammation & hence the pain.
  • Take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.
  • Wearing an elastic compression bandage will prevent additional swelling.
  • Take rest for 2-3 days.

All this will help you greatly.If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor for examination & tests and prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets cleared with these treatments.

So bot***** *****ne is there is nothing serious or dangerous here.Please follow the above measures.This will relieve your pain & other symptoms greatly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards


Expert:  Dr Josh replied 10 months ago.


Just checking in to see how things are going. How is your pain in muscle near shin?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards