Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I got diagnosed with mono about 3 weeks ago. The fatigue is

Customer Question
so extreme I can barely...
I got diagnosed with mono about 3 weeks ago. The fatigue is so extreme I can barely do things anymore. Have had so many other blood tests and all seemed clear. Never had fever or sore throat. The weakness gets so bad that sometimes I feel like Ill pass out when I exert myself. Is this possible ? Does it get better ? I am a 37 year old male. How can mono do this ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is pushing myself making this worse ? Should I just stay in bed ?
9/7/2016
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

Mono tends to be characteristically exhausting ...

It is a diffuse body wide viral infection ...

It tends to cause increase in sleep requirement and foggy headed type complaints ..

Poor exercise tolerance

You may benefit to engage in daily moderate exercise a such as a daily walk...

Rest but try to not get overly sleeping either ...8 to 10 hours but not more

Do your best to stay in your normal routine is best

I recommend take an anti-inflammatorydaoly for next several weeks ..ALEVE or Advil ....

You might ask your doctor about perhaps a trial of 4 to 6 weeks of a wakefulness promoter such as Provigil ( off label use but likely helpful )

These is no specific treatment for mono ..your system has to ride it out

I hope this information is helpful for you

Let me know If you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it possible that it is this debilitating. I cant work or do anything at the moment because of the fatigue and ill feeling. No fever no sore throat. Just terrible fatigue and body soreness. Im not sleeping more than 5 hours a night. I dont have a issue being awake I have an issue not sleeping enough and during the day bone fatigue. I had so many blood tests done and I do not want to keep going to the docs. I just hope that this will resolve eventually.

Hello!

Yes extreme fatigue is a presentation of mono ..yes to that

Usually increase in sleep requirement though so this aspect is odd ...

It usually wanes over a few months ( weeks to months )

Let me know If you have further questions!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor