Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have stents and I am on Plavix for a few years. Now they

Customer Question
discovered arterial fib and said...
I have stents and I am on Plavix for a few years. Now they discovered arterial fib and said I need another blood thinner. Can you take Eliquis and Plavix?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
9/5/2016
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Now Plavix contains clopidogrel which is a drug which acts on the platelets and prevents the formation of a blood clot. This is required for maintenance of stents and to prevent development of clogging in the stents. Eliquis on the other hand contains an anticogulant, this is the true blood thinner and contains apixaban. This drug would needed to prevent formation of a blood clot in your heart, which can develop in atrial fibrillation.

Now while both of them prevent development of blood clots, they have different functions. The true blood thinner is eliquis, not plavix. However coming to your question, while it can be dangerous taking both of them together, they CAN be used under the supervision of your doctor, he will just have to monitor you for any side effects.

It however is recommended that alternative drugs be used in their place BUT as i said they can be used if your cardiologist closely monitors them and looks at you frequently for any potential signs of bleeding.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor